Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Old Fashioned Comfort Food

My return to "outside" work and my local public radio station becoming an "all news" station happened to conicide in time. So on the rare days I drive myself to work, I get to listen to a bit of news which I love. One day recently, they were doing a piece called "Found Recipes," stories from cooks about foods which have "surprised or delighted them." The story I heard was about blueberry dumplings.

I decided to make these dumplings for the 4th of July. It sounded perfect for our old-fashioned fourth. They were amazing. A-maze-ing. I could not stop thinking about them. That said, I should warn you that either the recipe has an error or I made one, because my dough was not a soft batter but I actually picked it up and rolled it into balls. Even so they were fantastic. I am going to try again this week and if my batter is thick, I will increase the milk until it is soft. The blueberry sauce is more scarce than I'd have imagined; the dumplings truly are the star of the show.  Try it and let me know what you think.

Dumplings (Adapted from the NPR recipe)
2 cups flour
1 tblsp. sugar (the original calls for a teaspoon)
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter (the author used all shortening)
6-8 Tblsp. milk (This is the error, I think. I am going to add enough to make it soft enough to  scoop)

Mix the dry ingredients together and cut in the shortening and butter.  Add milk gently until it becomes a very soft dough.

Stewed Blueberries
2 cups blueberries
3/4 cup water (author used 1/2)
1/4 cup sugar
Heavy cream (We used whipped cream)

Bring the blueberries sugar and water to a boil; don't walk off this happens fast! Drop the dumplings on top. Lower heat to a simmer and cover pan. Steam for 12 minutes. Serve warm, pouring cream over the top for serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment