Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Sweet Christmas

I did a lot of baking on Monday, the official start to the holiday around here although Pepper and Dear Hubby were still at their usual tasks.

I started with an old fashioned treat, Washboard Cookies.  The unusual combination of fresh nutmeg and coconut makes them so yummy.
Then in honor of Papa who is celebrating Christmas 2400 miles away this year, Molasses Cookies.  We make them each and every year.  Miss you Mamaw and Papa!
I always make at least one new cookie;  this year's recipe from All You is chocolate sandwich cookies with peppermint filling.  Oh, my goodness, they are good!  The filling has marshmallow fluff so it has a lovely texture.
What is Christmas without Spritz?  I use Betty Crocker's recipe for mine.  I also make pink poinsettias with green veins but they all got eaten before I remembered to take the photo!
Finally I rounded out the day with super-simple haystacks.  Mamaw and I have been honing the recipe.  I loved this formula best so I will stick with it for a bit.  You just melt the chips in a double boiler and pour them over everything else and then drop them on buttered wax paper.

11 oz butterscotch chips, melted with
2 Tbls.. peanut butter

1 cup peanuts
1 cup marshmallows
2-1/2 cups chow mein noodles.
I made chex mix too, of course, the classic recipe off the box.  I just substitute some Cajun spices for the seasoned salt to which I'm allergic.  It's yummy. 

Pepper will make her trademark Brown Sugar Cookies tomorrow; I'll make another batch of haystacks, spritz, and Chex mix.  We'll make gingerbread snowflakes and let the kids decorate them.  Then, I think I'll call it a wrap!

No comments:

Post a Comment