Sunday, July 22, 2012

A Peck of Pickled Peppers

I couldn't resist.  We've had a pepper glut lately so I've taken to pickling them.

These are banana peppers with a slice or two of yellow bell for good measure;  banana peppers are yummy on sandwiches.  Not that we'd know; the kids ate the whole first jar just plain!
On the right is combined jalapenos and habaneros.  There is a lot of spice in this little jar.
Finally, on the left, pickled squash.  No seriously, it's good.  It will be the perfect accent to my fall bentos!

For the peppers, I started with a
mildly sweet pickle recipe I found.  However, I substituted a clove of minced garlic for the celery seed (not a fan).  The author does not process hers in a water bath but unless you are going to refrigerate them (as I am), you probably should.  10 minutes ought to do it. 

For the squash, I used the following brine recipe:


1 cup seasoned white vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
Bring the brine to a boil; meanwhile pack  julienne squash in jars.  Squeeze a piece of long chili into each jar.  (This makes a very spicy pickle -- but it is a very     s-l-o-w    heat and I adore it).  I doubled the brine for this batch.  I had a lot of squash.
Bring your hot water bath to boil.  Brine and cap the jars; cook in hot water bath 10 minutes.  



No comments:

Post a Comment